When we started Katie on solids at six months old, I researched on the baby-led weaning (BLW) method for feeding. It’s a really good way of introducing food to your babies, and I highly recommend it, if you are so inclined. But the truth is, we didn’t go exclusive on BLW. I just felt that Katie was not eating enough because she saw some of the food as miniature toys. Also, it can get quite messy–I just don’t have the energy (being currently pregnant with #2) and the time to do an intense clean-up after every meal.
No judgements, please! I did look for the right balance. She is allowed to hold her food and feed herself, especially if it’s fruit or any dried food. But then for those days when we eat the typical Filipino meal with ulam(usually with broth or sauce) and rice, we spoon-feed her. Same thing when we are out in public.
Anyway, the recipe I’m sharing today is quick and easy, one that you can give to your little one if you are on the BLW method. There’s only five ingredients and took me only about 30 minutes to make.
1 medium potato-washed, peeled and cut into cubes
half a head of broccoli–chopped into small florets
1 medium egg, beaten
1/2 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp cheese (or more, depending on your preference)
- Boil or steam the potatoes until tender. Add the broccoli halfway through to soften
- Mix in the cheese and pepper.
- Mash some more and allow to cool. At this point, you can preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Add the beaten egg.
- Spoon into baking tray (line the tray with parchment paper and add some olive oil). You can make this any size you want.
- Bake in oven till golden brown, about 30 minutes–flip it over halfway through the cooking time.
- You’re all set to serve!
Katie liked this because it has her favorites–broccoli and cheese. She ate two patties, alongside our dinner of rice and ulam (adobo, that night). Adults will also enjoy this as a side dish or snack. So it’s a win for the entire family.
I hope you try this out and let me know if you liked it!